Received a pirated copy of a game via Ebay.....
Avian
2007-07-06 12:20:58 UTC
Bought a game on Ebay (Paradox Interactive title), shows up, it is a Russian
copy with a note attached on how to use the English install option, though
highly annoyed, I was more annoyed on further looking into it, seeing that
it wasn't even the legit Russian publisher for the title, a high production
rip-off by a company named "neogame"....

Since I do not want to support piracy in any way, how do I get this seller
nailed? Seeking a refund would only get my money back, but would not stop
him from distributing more copies.

Should I contact Paradox legal? Send them the game as evidence? Never
received a pirated copy of a game before, and it has soured me from ever
buying software on Ebay again (to make matters worse, the seller, though
with a FB under 100, is at 100%, and I know damn well all his games are
probably pirated, he also has a Russian name, and I suspect he has a
"pipeline" coming out of Russia into the US).

Any advice appreciated.....
BobW
2007-07-06 12:48:25 UTC
Post by Avian
[...]
I would guess that contacting Ebay will get his account closed although he
will just open another. Contacting Paradox is a good idea too. I would
send them a photo of the game material that led you to believe it is
pirated.

Bob W.
bob
Don't use E-Bay
Alex Mars
2007-07-06 17:12:46 UTC
Post by Avian
[...]
Don't use E-Bay- Hide quoted text -
What an idiot, nothing is wrong with ebay, you just get scammers once
in a while like in every other area of life.
bob
2007-07-07 16:37:15 UTC
Post by Alex Mars
Post by Avian
[...]
But most of them are on Ebay and you can do nothing about it. But you keep
using Ebay.
Alex Mars
2007-07-07 19:51:43 UTC
Post by bob
Post by Alex Mars
Post by Avian
[...]
using Ebay.- Hide quoted text -
Hey, idiot, I have never been scammed on ebay and I buy CDs, DVDs, and
games from them all the time. All you have to do is make sure you are
buying from someone with a very high customer rating.

I can only conclude that the kids at school told you that it makes you
look cool to bash ebay.
g***@hotmail.com
2007-07-06 18:50:11 UTC
paradox wont do a thing about it.....it isnt worth their money to go
after him.....theya rent losing money on an ebay sale anyways, their
lawyers wont give 2 shits....

if it was a store selling games first hand, then yes, but when a game
is sold on ebay, assuming its real, paradox gets its 49.99 or whatever
it is from eb games, and then if that person reselles it, paradox
doesnt get anything....

Chuck
Alan Bernardo
2007-07-07 01:24:01 UTC
Post by g***@hotmail.com
paradox wont do a thing about it.....it isnt worth their money to go
after him.....theya rent losing money on an ebay sale anyways, their
lawyers wont give 2 shits....
if it was a store selling games first hand, then yes, but when a game
is sold on ebay, assuming its real, paradox gets its 49.99 or whatever
it is from eb games, and then if that person reselles it, paradox
doesnt get anything....
Chuck
I agree. I doubt Paradox cares or has the resources to care.

I would contact e-bay. At least doing this might cause the seller to think
twice about doing something similar again. Contact e-bay and then send the
seller some mail, cryptically showing what "could" have happened if you had
decided to press the issue further.

Alanb
Giftzwerg
2007-07-07 10:47:27 UTC
In article <468eeb22$0$20625$***@roadrunner.com>, ***@tsar.com
says...
Post by Alan Bernardo
I would contact e-bay. At least doing this might cause the seller to think
twice about doing something similar again. Contact e-bay and then send the
seller some mail, cryptically showing what "could" have happened if you had
decided to press the issue further.
<laughter>

Yeah, that's brilliant advice; appeal to the conscience of the software
pirate.

That'll work. Surely.
--
Giftzwerg
***

"Asians!! Again! Damn those heathen Chinee!!!"
- Giftzwerg
Warship NWS
2007-07-07 11:38:57 UTC
Here is another solution, buy the titles from us at NWS. I can assure
you they wont be counterfiets even if you buy a used game from us as
all titles are checked out before they are shipped and you can reach
me directly 24/7 with any questions. We also take special orders for
any titles not listed on our store.

Thanks
Christopher Dean
NWS Online Combat Gaming Store
Director of Operations
http://www.nws-online.net
Warship NWS
2007-07-07 11:44:13 UTC
Post by Alan Bernardo
I agree. I doubt Paradox cares or has the resources to care.
I would contact e-bay. At least doing this might cause the seller to think
twice about doing something similar again. Contact e-bay and then send the
seller some mail, cryptically showing what "could" have happened if you had
decided to press the issue further.
Alanb
a) Paradox can put in a formal complaint at no cost, it is up to them
to take the 5 minutes to do it.

b) Sending in a direct complaint to Ebay security may help as well.
Problem is verifying the evidence, but some noise is better then no
noise at all.

http://www.nws-online.net
Giftzwerg
2007-07-06 18:52:56 UTC
In article <Msqji.478098$***@newsfe17.phx>, ***@reego.com
says...
Post by Avian
Since I do not want to support piracy in any way, how do I get this seller
nailed? Seeking a refund would only get my money back, but would not stop
him from distributing more copies.
It's probably a no-win situation. Such sellers are using throwaway eBay
IDs, and the best you'll do is get one of his IDs banned.
Post by Avian
Should I contact Paradox legal? Send them the game as evidence? Never
received a pirated copy of a game before, and it has soured me from ever
buying software on Ebay again (to make matters worse, the seller, though
with a FB under 100, is at 100%, and I know damn well all his games are
probably pirated, he also has a Russian name, and I suspect he has a
"pipeline" coming out of Russia into the US).
Paradox might (?) even give you a break on a legal copy of the game
you're interested in if you work with them. Microsoft, to name a 1000-
pound example, has been known to bend over backwards, price-wise, for
people who've been taken in by pirates (particularly OEM piracy), and at
worst you'll generate a little goodwill between the developer/publisher
and an honest representative of the wargaming community.

I'd complain to eBay's ombudsman folks, and give Paradox the full story.
--
Giftzwerg
***

- Giftzwerg
p***@yahoo.com
2007-07-07 15:31:59 UTC
Complaining to e-bay will just cause them to shut down his account.
He will then, promptly, create another account and continue to do the
same thing.

I would leave feedback on his user name warning other people what he
does. If he doesn't read it right away, it will save at least a few
others from being taken in by him.

PAT PROCTOR
President, ProSIM Company
http://www.prosimco.com
WDS
2007-07-11 14:28:20 UTC
Post by p***@yahoo.com
Complaining to e-bay will just cause them to shut down his account.
He will then, promptly, create another account and continue to do the
same thing.
I would leave feedback on his user name warning other people what he
does. If he doesn't read it right away, it will save at least a few
others from being taken in by him.
Ah, but if you get his account shut down his rating will have to start
over. A lot of those guys have high ratings, somewhow. Be very
carefull about giving them a bad rating yourself, though. I did that
and they promptly slapped a bad rating on ME. That's why you go
straight to EBay to voice your concerns.